Oosterhamrik Zone project
A new connection is needed for cars, bicycles and buses, linking the eastern ring road with the central city. This new connection will help improve the flow of traffic on the east side of the city, in anticipation of the expected growth of the city and the increase in traffic this will entail.
Five related elements
Every day, Groningen’s residents, visitors, workers and students are held up by congestion on the major radial roads on the east side of the city. Traffic on Petrus Campersingel, Europaweg and Damsterdiep is increasingly confronted with gridlocks. So, in June 2016, the municipal Council decided to create a new connection to the eastern ring road through the Oosterhamrik zone.
The Oosterhamrik Zone project comprises five related elements:
- a road through the Oosterhamrik zone to the eastern ring road
- redevelopment of Korreweg to make it more bicycle friendly
- replacement of the Gerrit Krolbrug (a bridge)
- a dedicated bridge for buses over the Van Starkenborghkanaal (a waterway)
- other measures to improve the flow of traffic
Go to www.aanpakoosterhamrikzone.nl for more information.