No trains from Groningen to Assen, Veendam during spring break
There will be limited rail service in the north during the entire week of spring break due to maintenance and construction works across the region.
A section of the viaduct above the rail road track at the Verlengde Lodewijkstraat in Groningen will be torn down as part of road works for the southern ring road. In Haren, ProRail will be working on creating a new cycling and pedestrian tunnel below the tracks, and a new depot area is under construction. In Assen, ProRail is working on “De Maten” underpass, and between Leeuwarden and Buitenpost, two tunnels will be installed: one in Hurdegaryp and one in Feanwâlden.
NS and Arriva will provide rail replacement busses throughout the week, and here are the specific details about which routes will be impacted when:
- 16-17 February: NS busses between Groningen-Hoogeveen and Arriva busses between Groningen-Veendam and Weener
- 18-19 February: NS busses between Groningen-Assen and Arriva busses between Groningen-Veendam and Weener
- NS busses will not be stopping at the Groningen Europapark station, so travellers from Groningen will need to take an Arriva bus from Groningen station to the Europapark station
- The NS busses will stop at the transferium in Haren along the A28. A shuttle bus will be running between the transferium and the Haren station.
- There will be no commuter trains between Groningen and Zuidhorn and no express trains between Groningen and Leeuwarden from Wednesday, 20 February through Sunday the 24th. The local train will travel between Groningen and Buitenpost. Arriva busses will be running a local and express service between Buitenpost and Leeuwarden.
- Travellers should expect longer travel times due to the rail replacement busses, and bikes are not allowed on board the busses.
The Groninger Internet Courant reports that on Saturday the 16th and Sunday the 17th, Qbuzz will be operating an extra bus – line 123 – stopping at Winschoten, Veendam, Gieten, Rolde and Hoogeveen. Passengers will need to use their OV chip cards to check in and out – Arriva and NS tickets specials will not be valid on line 123.
Source: The Northern Times